An existing long-term client reported issues with a building which was not water tight. Several repairs by their facilities management had been undertaken to the property but had failed to find a solution. RWS Ltd was drafted in to help resolve the issue.
One of our fully qualified ITC thermographers visited the site and began investigations into the building fabric. Internal and external surveys were completed as well as a report scoping the dilapidations of the property.
The report showed evidence that the flat roof and rainwater goods were failing, causing an ingress of water which tracked down the walls internally into the sales area. This ingress occurred over all four storeys and our survey revealed the amount of damage to each individual area.
After discussion with the client, it was recommended and agreed we strip back the existing finishes inside the building and allow it to dry to a sufficient level. Thereafter, new finishes could be installed throughout and the building updated to a level appropriate for use by staff.
The entire job was completed within three weeks. This was a standard dilapidations project for RWS. The thermal infrared technology allowed us to demonstrate which areas were affected and why.
This infrared survey technology also saved labour on site by identifying critical areas first via its non-intrusive methods. It also reduced the amount of works required on stripping back surfaces for investigation.
- New flat roof covering and repairs
- New rainwater goods including gutters and downpipes
- Repointing the elevation and replacement facing bricks
- New lead flashings to upstands
- Repair and refurbish fire exit doors
- Repair and refurbish timber sash windows
- External decoration
- Redress coping stones and upstands to flat roof area
- Strip down of plaster wall surfaces and replacement
- Removal of ceilings and installation of new
- New light fittings
- Replacement carpets to water damaged areas
- New staff kitchen / tea point area
- Repairs and redecoration throughout the sales area from water damage